I spent $1000 on my PMP® Exam Prep Course.
That’s right. One thousand dollars. A grand.
OK, really, my boss spent that $1000. But it was still $1000.
And it was good and helpful enough. I spent a week in class. The instructor provided his company’s study guide to the PMBOK, which provided some summarization and explanation of key concepts, Inputs-Tools&Techniques-Outputs (ITTO) summaries, example key formulas, tips on study, etc. But I expected more.
I spent the next couple of months studying, memorizing, highlighting, reading the PMBOK (yes, you should read it, too), etc. I built my own cheat sheets. I ran sample exams.
And I passed on my first try. (Yeah, that’s just a little pride showing through.)
PM PrepCast™ – A Great Self-Study Solution?
Some time after certifying PMP, I was introduced to the PM PrepCast. Man, I wish I’d had that tool when I was preparing for the exam! Cornelius, the instructor, is very thorough. These portable video presentations teach you all the key concepts for the exam. More videos coach you through the exam application process and give you all you need to know to succeed.
You’ll still spend the study time. No way around it. But you’ll get through it more quickly and with more confidence with PM PrepCast.
PM PrepCast now also comes in an Agile flavor: The Agile PrepCast™.
What you get with the $179.99 PM PrepCast package:
- 120 video and audio lessons (average 26 minutes each) in plain, down-to-earth, everyday English. More than 47 hours of instruction!
- Based on The PMBOK® Guide 5th Edition.
- Full explanations of the necessary models, theories and formulas not covered in PMBOK®.
- Help understanding the concepts, not just memorizing them.
- Certificate for 35 Contact Hours – required for taking the PMP exam!
- Bonus - 300 tough sample exam questions
- Bonus – “Learn from the Experts” Email course – 10 steps to becoming PMP – demystify the whole process
- Bonus – Exam study checklist
- Bonus – Access to Exam Discussion Forums.
- 90-day Money Back Guarantee from the publisher
You’ll get similar benefits from the Agile PrepCast, whether you’re just trying to skill up on Agile, or whether you’re pursuing PMI’s Agile certification, the PMP-ACP.
While I did not use this for my own exam prep since I didn’t know about it, I’ve spent some time with it. Here are my own personal observations.
- Electronic delivery is stunningly smooth, even if you don’t use iTunes.
- The lessons are just the right length to be consumable and useful, but not overwhelming.
- The videos are clear and uncluttered. The “slideware” supports the “lecture,” making it easy to follow. “Lecture” is really the wrong word. Cornelius is easy to listen to!
- You can use your portable device (see the web site for lists of supported devices), or simply view the lessons on your computer — that’s how I prefer to use it.
- Cornelius provides both high- and low-resolution versions, depending on what’s supported by your device.
- The course includes video presentations to help you through your entire study and preparation process, of which PM PrepCast is one part. Cornelius gives some great advice on how to prepare fully and completely for the exam.
I recommend PM PrepCast and Agile Prepcast. It’s a solid, economical way to approach your exam prep.
Help getting PDUs after you’ve certified
Then, when you’ve finally completed your exam, consider the following package to help you get your required PDUs: